Hydrogen Gas Turbine
This is a solution for the Gas Turbine Power Plant owners who are considering converting their existing gas turbines to hydrogen co-firing, or even foreseeing 100% hydrogen firing in the near future.
Mitsubishi Power is ready to work with all such power plant owners to identify key actions by conducting a feasibility study tailor made to their plants and set up the roadmap towards a common decarbonization goal.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Gas Turbine Power Plant owners can transition their existing turbines to low carbon or carbon free systems with the minimal modifications.
- Growth of the renewable energy systems such as solar panels and wind turbines will undeniably contribute to decarbonization, however, due their intermittent nature, the power grids are becoming unreliable as they lose the dispatchable inertia with every added renewable power resource.
- Gas turbines will therefore continue to play a vital role as reliable, relatively low carbon and flexible power supply.
- Mitsubishi Power is working relentlessly to develop technologies to convert current Gas Turbine Power Plants’ fuel from natural gas to hydrogen.
- By switching fuel from natural gas to 30% hydrogen mix by volume, it is possible to reduce gas turbine’s carbon emission by around 10%.
- Mitsubishi Power is currently developing dry low NOx combustion technology for 100% hydrogen firing and targeting March 2025 for the rig tests completion which will be a monumental step towards the goal of carbon free gas turbines.
- Owing to more than 3.5 million hours of hydrogen co-firing across 29 units since the 1970s, Mitsubishi Power has positioned itself at the forefront of this technology as handling hydrogen in combustion needs substantial experience and know how.
- More recently, Mitsubishi Power has joined multiple projects in Europe and elsewhere planning to convert existing gas turbine power plants for co-firing and full hydrogen (detail of a project in the UK is available in below NEWS), and also a new construction project in the US planning to start its operation with hydrogen-ready turbines.
DETAILS OF THE SOLUTION
- Gas Turbine Power Plant owners and Mitsubishi Power to start discussion to formulate a realistic transition roadmap towards partial or full hydrogen combustion turbines.
- As a key basis of such roadmap, Mitsubishi Power to conduct feasibility study and create modification plan tailored to the plant specifications and future operations.
Decarbonizing Gas Turbine by Hydrogen Firing Technology
As the pace of decarbonization picks up all over the world, more and more Gas Turbine Power Plant owners are considering the switch of fuel from natural gas to hydrogen for carbon free combustion. Here we outline the solutions available to all such power plant owners from Mitsubishi Power.